Friday, September 29, 2006

Sir Thomas More, Scott Walker, "the ennui of youth"


I'm currently reading Sir Thomas More's Utopia, and finding it really quite interesting. It reads in some ways like Gulliver's travels, but I don't think it's quite as satirical. It's certainly misanthropic in a lot of ways, or at least bemoans the sad fact that we human beings are a dispicably self-interest breed. The reason I'm posting about this now is that I felt a great deal of inspiration to respond. Unfortunately, this inspiration to respond was not quite matched by an urge to finish the reading.

Which brings me to the "ennui of youth." I saw that term flash on one of those AdultSwim bumpers about "things we're de-hyped about for Fall 2006" and I just thought it was a pretty funny expression. I remember when I first learned the meaning of the word "ennui" and I was therby finally capable of labeling the predominant feeling of stagnation that so often crept into me to dampen my spirits.

Moving on, and in keeping with the melodrama of my last few sentences, I'd like to bring up the subject of Scott Walker. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm usually the first to decry any glimmer of overly-dramatic sounding work in the arts, so I'd like to discuss my thoughts on this truly magnificent performer. Scott Walker (real name Scott Engel) was given the voice of a crooner. Most crooners are really one-track and sing middle of the road material ready-made for adult contemporary stations across the galaxy. That's not to say I have it in for crooners, but it is a common truth. The thing about Scott Walker is that he doesn't sing that stuff.

I recently bought his first album, Scott, and I'm totally captivated by the production, the lyrics, and of course, that incredible baritone voice. The album only contains three original works: "Montague Terrace (in Blue)," "Such a Small Love," and "Always Coming Back to You," but Scott makes all the songs his own. Against a dramatic landscape of cascading strings the album opens with the lively "Mathilde," by Jacques Brel. The rest of the album is more moderate, with mid-tempo showcases of Walker's astounding talent. My personal favorite so far is Tim Hardin's composition, "The Lady Came from Baltimore," which is the story of a would-be gold digger who ends up falling in love with the rich woman he targets.

Listen to Scott Walker:
"Mathilde"
"The Lady Came from Baltimore"
"Montague Terrace (in Blue)"

and also

"30 Century Man" - Not sure which album this song is from, but it was my first encounter with this former lead singer of the Walker Brothers, and it's really a great (though criminally terse) song. Listen to those lyrics!

"Play it cool, and saran-wrap all you can."

Serenely,

S

1 Comments:

Blogger Harry the Hire said...

Every now and then I worked in a tiny bar (upstairs) in a huge bar (downstairs) in Soho. The bar was hidden behind a wall and waitresses would bring me drinks orders from the diners in the restaurant. Someone had scrawled "such ennui" in black pen on the wall.

I thought it was a type of spaghetti.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home